Sunday 21 October 2007

Wedding of the week - Yewande & Ibidapo


Yewande & Ibidapo

Wedding Venue - Unilag Multipurpose Hall

What was your favourite part of your wedding?
I was so excited to see old family members and meet so many new ones. I really felt like just about everyone who was important (although some close friends, were unable to make the event, I made peace with that long before the wedding) to me came from all over the world to grace the occasion. I saw aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen since I was a child, the out pour of love and support was fantastic. I absolutely loved that and it meant everything to me. Let me also add, I was so excited to see everything come together, the BM dresses, the programs, the cake, the hall- I was so thankful to God for everything. We also had a blast with all the girls sleeping over the night before, all my bms were either girls, I had known all my life or girls that would be there for the rest of my life. Ok, I know that's more than one favourite. :)

How was the planning process for you?
FUN, FUN, FUN! I learned so much about myself during the process; it also helped to have a fabulous wedding planner, who cared so much about me and everything else. I certainly had those moments where I wished response times were faster etc. but all in all the planning process was fun for me.

If you could change anything what would it be?
Oh my, I honestly can't think of anything.

If you could add anything what would it be?
I would have loved to have my maternal grandpa there, he meant so much to me and we were super close but he passed away in 2005. Rest in Peace grand daddy, love ya! :)

Any advice for brides to be
1) Prayer is the key! If there were no other time, where you put your complete faith and trust in God, now is the time to start.
2) Focus! Just focus on what you want, there's so much out there, try not to get confused. Every bride is different, what works for someone else and looks great, may not necessarily work for you. Every bride is unique and be sure to hunt for bargains.
3) Your wedding day does not determine what your marriage will be like. The wedding is only a day event (well a couple of days for most Nigerian women), your marriage lasts a lifetime. At the end of the day, you and your hubby- to- be come first. Don't get so stressed out that you both can't enjoy your day.
4) Nurture your relationship during the planning process. It just makes things go so much smoother, my hubby was super supportive; he was my rock, literally. He didn't care about details etc but he was the first person I turned to when I felt any anxiety about anything.
5) Your supporting cast is so important. Surround yourself with caring yet honest bms, a great wedding planner (if you're planning a wedding across the shores, this is super important as you can't respond nor see to everything yourself immediately), tried and tested beauty experts (makeup artists, hair care folks, get your dress from a reputable retailer), all these will alleviate unnecessary stress.
6) Finally- Have fun while it lasts. You'll be so happy you did. All the best girls! :)

11 comments:

Arewa said...

I like the use of unusual colours for the deco and bridesmaids dresses. The use of Chinese lanterns for reception deco is so in vouge and gives such a cool look.Nice one x x

Anonymous said...

Arewa, event decor in Nigeria is just on the next level. Brides are realizing it is a big part of the entire picture, so most brides will spare nothing to make sure their day looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I love the dress. You;ve got classic taste girl. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks like a lovely wedding and in Nigeria...Impressive. I love the bride's dress and bridesmaid dresses. Classy! Why is there no interview?

AJ said...

Yes this wedding was Tres Chic ... That is what my dear friend was going for ... Ms Gbems, peeps wants to know why there was no interview ... I guess there could be one posted later right? But Wande is a true Fashionista to the core and I know she wont mind me telling that her dress was classic Monique Lhuillier... I just think she (Monique that is)is soooo much better than Vera Wang or Nicole Miller ...
Ladies in the states ... For beautiful wedding gowns that understand our body (as in, small waist, big hips and butt), I would reccommend 3 designers and they are in order of priceyness (If there is even a word like that) anyhow from most expensive to least expensive.

Monique Lhuillier - $$$$$$
Demetrios - $$$$
Maggie Sottero - $$

Anonymous said...

Na wa o! This is quite lovely, nice details, cake is very simple and classy. Love the variety of contrasting yet complimentary colors but I must say, some of these photos are repetitive, can we see a few more photos? Also why is there no interview, all the other posts have interviews. We can't get any tips or ideas without an interview. That's the whole point right!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Simple and Elegant.

Anonymous said...

Nice wedding here. The wedding dress is Gorgeous. The accent color's very nice

Anonymous said...

was gonna say dat looked like a Monique Lhuillier dress man yetunde ure 2much lovely dress n dat dress is expensiveeeeeeeeeee saw it at a bridal expo in NY

Anonymous said...

Fab wedding looks like, the wedding dress is beautiful and those brides maid dresses are off da hook...Where and how did the couple get the monogram? I'll like one for my wedding next year.

Anonymous said...

moilliack
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/tonsillitis]tonsillitis[/url]
Gueffrice